'Vomiting and sweating' minutes after funnel-web bite
DAVID Sullivan has been dubbed "Spiderman" by his mates after his battle with a feisty funnel-web saw him airlifted out of Chinchilla.
Mr Sullivan, a Gold Coast-based bus driver, was gardening at the Chinchilla Murrays Coaches depot on Saturday when he saw the creepy crawly on his hand and felt its sting.
"As soon as I knew it was there, it was a reflex to try and shake it off, but he wouldn't go away," Mr Sullivan said.
"He was hanging on to me and that just made me panic even more."
- Grandmother angry after grand-daughter is punished by stranger
- Dashcam captures hero truckie's Warrego Hwy near miss
- Sad farewell to mum and daughter stabbing victims
- Record-breaking $1.25 million home sells in Preston
- Woman punches, gouges police officer with her nails
Within two minutes of the frightening garden incident, Mr Sullivan was vomiting and saturated with sweat.
The 49-year-old was taken to Chinchilla Hospital before RACQ CareFlight was called to transport him to Toowoomba Hospital to receive anti-venom.
Mr Sullivan was back at the Chinchilla depot with a stinging, swollen hand on Monday.
He said there was "absolutely no way" he'd be going out into the garden.
He admitted he was already petrified by the placid daddy-long-leg spiders before he felt the fangs of the funnel-web.
"I'm never gardening anywhere ever again," he said. "I think I'll just be staying in my coach."
Doctors encourage anyone who suspects they had been bitten by a funnel-web to stay calm, limit movement, apply compression and immediately contact emergency services.