What's on in the Gladstone region this weekend
LOOKING for something to do in the Gladstone region this weekend? Here's a rundown of some of the events and activities on offer.
Run in the Sun
HOT rods, customs, American muscle and classic pre-78 cats will leave attendees of Run in the Sun in awe.
Reef City Rod and Custom Inc's annual event held at the Calliope Historical Village on Saturday July 5 from 1-5pm will have plenty of souped-up rides, food and beverage stalls and entertainment on offer.
For more information phone 0418.714.903.
Wizard of Oz
CLICK your heels together and get ready to follow a yellow brick road full of fun, adventure and wacky characters at the Gladstone Entertainment and Convention Centre on Saturday.
Kids can rap with the Tinman, roar like a Lion, wake up sleepy Shakey the Scarecrow and dance with Dorothy in this interactive, new adaptation of Frank Baum's classic.
The Wizard of Oz Show is about more than giving kids a good time. It spreads a message of hope and self-esteem to the young.
Come dressed as your favourite Oz character and bring a new toy or book for our Children's Hospital Toy Appeal.
The show runs from 10.30am - 11.20am and tickets (A reserve - $19; B -Reserve - $16) are necessary.
The Wizard of Oz group will also be holding a drama workshop for children from 9-10am.
These workshops cover intro to tableaux, voice and expression, plus give the children the exciting opportunity to show off what they've learned on stage with the Oz Cast.
The workshop costs $10 per child and you need to book your place in advance by calling (02) 4626 7777.
More details at www.thewizardofozshow.com.
BEACH Arts Music will be held on Saturday July 5 from 2-7pm at the Tannum Sands Millennium Esplanade.
Food, clothing jewellery and arts stalls are just some of what the event has to offer.
For more information email email@example.com or phone 4973.7445.
Christmas in July dance
THE Christmas in July old time dance will be held on Saturday at the Calliope RSL Hall from 7.30pm - 11.30pm.
Tickets are $5 per person.
Attendees are asked to bring a plate to share for supper.
Call 0400 338 327 for more information.
THE Calliope Craft Market is a free event showcasing local businesses specialising in crafts, sewing, handmade and homegrown produce.
The next market will be held on Sunday July 6 from 2-4pm at the Calliope RSL Hall.
For more information phone Sam Sullivan on 0406.459.935.
HEAD down to the Tannum Sands Millennium Esplanade on July 6 from 9am - 3pm for a family fun day fundraiser for Relay for Life.
There will be plenty of games, music, stalls and more.
Discovery Coast Markets
THE Discovery Coast Markets are held on the second and fourth Sunday of each month at the SES Grounds located between Agnes Water and Seventeen Seventy.
Come and browse the arts and crafts, bric-a-brac and fresh produce available to purchase between 8am - 12pm.
Sunday session at Yachties
GLADSTONE Yacht Club will have a Sunday session in Yachties Beer Garden with live music from 2pm, and great drink specials.
The session runs from 2pm to 6pm.
Country singer Michelle Plozza is this week's act.
Cirque Mother Africa
THE heartbeat of Africa pulsates throughout the jaw-dropping Cirque Mother Africa show as enthralling musicians and artistes articulate their passion and love for their homelands of Ethiopia, South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Ivory Coast, Benin, Zimbabwe and Guinea.
Seen by more than 2 million people worldwide, the show brings forth a feel of authentic African traditions with masks, drums, beads and amazing costumes.
Watch as bodies contort into mind boggling shapes, astonishing acrobatics and performers balance on other performers and percussionists beat up a storm of sound.
Audiences at the Gladstone Entertainment Convention Centre on Sunday evening will be overwhelmed by the complexity and versatility of these world-class acts.
More information and ticket purchases can be made at http://www.gladecc.com.au.
- Yaralla Sports Club: Bingo, 10am and 1pm
- Queens Hotel: Dance until late with Karina and Mak
- Gladstone Bowls: Bingo, 10am; Wolves Soccer Club bingo, 7.30pm
- Club Hotel: 888 PL Poker registration 6.30pm for 7.30pm start
- Biloela Bowls Club: Piper Down from 7pm
- Rocky Glen Hotel: Swamp Rat Karaoke from 8pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel: Pandamic from 8.15pm
- Grand Hotel: TGIF with Nathan Bedford from 5pm
- Agnes Water Tavern: Wood and Steel from 8pm
- Yaralla Sports Club: Free Poker, 7pm
- Queens Hotel: Dance until late with Karina and Mak
- Grand Hotel: 888 PL Poker, registration from 1pm for 2pm start
- Tannum Sands Hotel: Live music, 8.15pm
- Rocky Glen Hotel: Velocty from 8pm
- Coal N Cattle Moura: Piper Down from 8pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel: Shoeless Joe from 8.15pm
- Gladstone Reef Hotel: TJ Hollis from 9pm
- Young Aussie Hotel: JD'S Karaoke from 8pm
- Agnes Water Tavern: Brass Monkeys from 8pm
- Diggers Arms Hotel: Pop Stanton
- Young Aus Hotel: Raffles, 11.30am
- Queens Hotel: 888 PL Poker, registration 1pm for 2pm start
- Yaralla: Bingo, 1pm
- Railway Hotel: Sunday session, 2pm
- Gladstone Bowls: Wolves Soccer Club bingo, 7.30pm
- Rocky Glen Hotel: Ben Beasley from 2pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel: The Mangs from 2pm
- Calliope Railway Hotel: Monster Guitars from 3pm
- Agnes Water Tavern: Bevan Spiers from 2pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel: Nathan Bedford from 2pm