Funds running out for operation that curbs CBD violence
GLADSTONE'S CBD Community Safety Committee has called on the state government to fork out funds to help save local police Operation Parasol.
The $120,000 a year industry-funded police operation has been running on Friday and Saturday nights since June 2012 to curb drunken street violence in Gladstone.
But with funding expected to dry up next month, Gladstone Mayor Gail Sellers and industry and business leaders have been left to find a solution.
Last week Cr Sellers, along with industry representative Garry Scanlan and community representative Peter Petersen, met with police minister Jack Dempsey at a community cabinet deputation.
In the 25 minute meeting the group pledged the need to secure funding for the continuation of the project.
Cr Sellers said she was pleased with the result, despite the Minister not making any commitments on the day.
"Funding doesn't necessarily mean funding, it could mean more staffing," Cr Sellers said.
"We have done this for more than a year and have brought all the key stakeholders together," Mr Peterson said.
A spokesperson for Mr Dempsey said the QPS was in the process of reviewing potential Operation Parasol funding.
On Wednesday Mr Dempsey announced funding would continue for Drink Safe precincts in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Townsville until June 2014.