Boyne Valley locals meet with pollies in mobile tower push
UBOBO residents met with local and federal representatives on Wednesday in their bid to secure Telstra mobile towers for the Boyne Valley.
They said the project was still in the planning stages, and they were hoping for more support from regional funds.
But Telstra said no decision had been made as work continued on a study of the region and the engineering requirements.
Flynn MP Ken O'Dowd said there were more than 500 people in the area, which was continually growing.
"The mobile service is a problem, but when the copper goes out it isolates the community totally," he said.
"We've seen the hardships here in 2010 and 2013 to the extent these people are isolated for a long time but they're only 38km from Gladstone."
Will Wilson, whose team helped fundraise for the residents of the Boyne Valley following January's floods, said the group knew the area would need more than one tower.
"But it's wrong to begin asking for funding until we know the costs," he said.
"We hope with some assistance from the (State Government's) Royalties for the Regions and the Gladstone Foundation fund that we can raise enough money to get across the line."
Telstra Country Wide area general manager Kris Carver said Telstra was working with the group to consider viability.
"A co-funding arrangement is being explored as Telstra currently has no plans to provide coverage in this area," he said, adding there was no timeframe for delivery.