Two-year wait for new NRL team gives bid time to build
NEWS that a decision on NRL expansion won't be made until after 2014 may have some feathers ruffled, but for the CQ NRL Bid team it's business as usual.
The Australian Rugby League Commission made the announcement on Monday that a new team would be put off for two years when it released its five-year strategic plan.
It had been anticipated a decision would be made by the end of this year.
CQ NRL Bid chief executive officer Denis Keeffe said the 2014 announcement had been expected.
"The end game for us is the NRL program in central Queensland," he said.
Keeffe said the two-year wait would give the bid time to strengthen.
"We will be redoubling our efforts with grassroots as well as reassuring our sponsors it will happen," he said.
ARLC chairman John Grant said the group wanted people to redirect their involvement and support to those parts of the games that already existed.
Keeffe said the bid team was already doing what the commission wanted.
And with time now on the cards, it's now more important than ever that the number of people supporting the CQ NRL Bid is an unstoppable force.
Earlier this year, bid chief executive Denis Keeffe said he wanted at least 10,000 of a target of 100,000 members to come from Gladstone.
Yesterday the tally was 40,145 and counting.
This prompts the question: have you become an online member yet?
CQ NRL Bid Gladstone director Peter White encouraged the Gladstone community to embrace the project.
"I urge anyone who really wants to see and experience our own NRL team to take two minutes of their time and show their support," Mr White said.