Plenty of true blue, green and gold fun this weekend
GRAB your Akubra and chuck another snag on the barbie. It's Australia Day this Sunday.
Across the region residents will be celebrating what it means to be an Aussie. And in Gladdy there is plenty on offer to commemorate our nation in the best possible ways.
Gladstone Regional Council has organised an event at Gladstone Marina and, in neighbouring suburbs and towns, there is nothing short of true-blue Aussie fun on offer for the community.
Gladstone Mayor Gail Sellers said she believed Aussies tended to be less patriotic than other countries, but on Australia Day we show our true pride.
"Each year I see the excitement building, firstly as the day approaches and, secondly, each year more people are actively participating," Cr Sellers said.
At the Gladstone event the popular pie-eating competition will again be held and the throne is open for the quickest participant.
Although Cr Sellers has confessed she is not a pie eater, she has a few tips from observing previous competitions.
"Hold back and don't go in the first heat. Watch the technique of each entrant ... If you are serious, start training now and you should reach your peak on Australia Day."
Australia Day events:
- Free community breakfast at the Endeavour Park at Agnes Water/Seventeen Seventy from 8am. Entertainment and games will be held from 8am to noon, followed by a barbecue and barefoot bowls at the bowls club until 8pm.
- The Builyan hall will have a traditional Aussie breakfast with children's activities, pony rides, an Australiana questionnaire, whip cracking and more. It will be held from 8am at Builyan Hall, Boyne Valley.
- From 7am to noon Miriam Vale Community Centre will host a traditional Australia Day celebration. An Aussie breakfast will start the event followed by the national anthem, acknowledgement to traditional owners, Aussie quizzes, bush poetry and more.
- Curtis Island residents can take part in celebrations at Goldings Park at South End. From 10.30am to 4pm triple j's hottest 100 countdown will be pumping while outdoor activities are played and, at high tide, attendees can have a dip in the water.
- Turkey beach will celebrate what it means to be an Australian at the esplanade from 9am. A barbecue breakfast followed by beach cricket and volleyball will be offered.
- Gladstone Regional Council's official event will be held at Gladstone Marina from 3pm to 7pm. Food stalls, live entertainment, a pie-eating competition and more will be held.
- Or head to your local pub to see what it has to offer.