CCTV and search warrants lead to arrests over assault
THREE men have been charged by detectives after an investigation into the serious assault of a 21-year-old man in Gladstone on Monday morning.
Gladstone CIB confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that two 21-year-old men and a 25-year-old man had been charged with grievous bodily harm, after detectives combed through CCTV footage to identify the alleged offenders.
The 21-year-old victim is in an induced coma with severe facial fractures in Royal Brisbane Hospital.
The attack happened on Goondoon St.
Detective Senior Sergeant Luke Peachey said his team had worked around the clock since the assaults took place.
"The investigation has been ongoing since 3am Monday morning when the offences occurred," he said.
"We reviewed ... CCTV footage and (recorded) witness statements and executed a simultaneous number of search warrants."
While a 32-year-old man was charged on Monday afternoon relating to the second assault, the investigation into the first was more protracted.
"The offenders were still located at the scene (of the assault) but the investigation was a lot more entrenched. It was a little more in-depth," Det Snr Sgt Peachey said.
According to data from crimemap.info, there have been 30 solved assault incidents along Goondoon St between the Lord St and Yarroon St intersections since the start of 2013.
Det Snr Sgt Peachey said police would continue to act quickly when it came to serious assaults.
"We're very keen, as the government has stated, to be clamping down on alcohol-fuelled violence," he said.
"Any assault like this we could easily have been dealing with murder charges - it's more good luck not good management (that they aren't)."