Toowoomba shooter jailed for eight years
A 27-YEAR-OLD man who shot another man outside a Rangeville home in an act of vigilante vengeance has been jailed for eight years.
Luke Anthony Scott did not know his 20-year-old victim but had acted at the behest of a woman scorned by the breakdown of her relationship with the victim.
Toowoomba Supreme Court heard Scott had been out of prison on parole just one month when he answered the call of the 26-year-old woman who wanted revenge on the man who had ended their relationship.
Scott and a male associate armed themselves with loaded guns and were driven to the residence on the night of July 20, 2017, to confront him.
With guns trained on him, the victim asked that they move outside as there were three children sleeping in the house, the court heard.
Scott's co-offender had then struck the victim in the face with the butt of his shotgun, prompting the victim to retaliate by punching him a number of times to the head.
During the ensuing scuffle, the victim had tried to grab the assailant's gun only to be shot in the knee.
Not realising he had been shot, the man turned to look at Scott who shot him in the stomach.
The pair were then driven away but police soon located and arrested the woman and the getaway driver which led to Scott's arrest.
Crown prosecutor Shontelle Petrie said the victim would have died without surgery.
Fortuitously, during that surgery an undiagnosed cancerous tumour was found and removed, she said.
The original charge of attempted murder withdrawn, Scott pleaded guilty to malicious act with intent and grievous bodily harm.
He was on parole, probation and a suspended jail sentence at the time.
The other shooter has not been found.
Justice Peter Applegarth said a sentence that deterred "vigilante violence" had to be imposed and sentenced Scott to eight years in jail but ordered he be eligible to apply for release on parole from January 17, 2021, with 631 days pre-sentence custody declared as time served under the sentence.