Menu
News

Another toddler burns feet on coals from NYE beach fire

A TODDLER was left with a burnt, blistering feet after a careless party-goer on New Year's Eve did not put their fire out correctly.

Nagoorin family Dave and Cindy Cameron took their three-year-old daughter Amanda to the Northern Bridge beach area on New Year's Day, but their day and whole week was ruined because of it.

Mr Cameron said the previous night they heard fireworks, music and people partying at the area the previous night.

She is the second child to have reported burns from walking on hot coals from a left over beach fire this year in Gladstone.

>> UPDATE: Troyden up and walking after skin graft surgery

Just as Mr Cameron was walking to the car to collect the kayaks to put in the water he heard a painful scream come from his daughter.

"It felt like my foot was on fire," Amanda said.

"I screamed and my Dad came running over to me."

Mr Cameron said at first he thought she was excited, but then he heard the pain in her voice.

"There's a big snake down there that we are aware of so that was my first thought." 

"We want people to be aware how important it is to make sure their fires are out.

"It's a lovely spot but it's a shame this has happened … it spoilt our day and our week because Amanda has been in pain, he said."

Still Amanda struggles to walk.

They have since treated Amanda's blisters with burn-aid and other soothing gels.

On January 2, Troyden Marks bore the brunt of a fire that was not put out with fourth degree burns to his foot.

He has since had skin graft surgery.

Topics:  beach safety burn nagoorin



Father of five jailed after spitting on sergeant

Gladstone Court House, Yarroon Street.

Photo Brenda Strong / The Observer

The magistrate called the act 'horrendous'.

CQ trivia kings launch Guinness World Records attempt

ALL NIGHT LONG: James Law (left) and Mitchell McAulay-Powell train for their world record attempt.

Gladstone's favourite quizologists are aiming high.

Local Partners