Toddler remains in 'stable condition' after taipan bite
UPDATE Friday 7.45am:
THE two-year-old boy who was bitten by a snake last Sunday is still in Brisbane in hospital.
The toddler was airlifted to Lady Cilento Hospital on Sunday night for treatment.
He is still there in a stable condition.
UPDATE Tuesday 2.45pm:
A TWO-year-old boy is still at a Brisbane hospital recovering from a snake bite on Sunday.
He is in a stable condition at the Lady Cilento Hospital.
On Sunday about 3.50pm he was bitten by a snake on the leg. He was airlifted to the Bundaberg Hospital and later taken to the Lady Cilento Children's Hospital for further treatment.
UPDATE Monday 7.15pm:
A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy is recovering at a Brisbane hospital after a near-fatal taipan bite at Seventeen Seventy.
The Bundaberg Newsmail reported that just before 4pm on Sunday, the boy was feeding chickens with his mother on a property near Agnes Water when he was bitten by a taipan, Australia's largest venomous snake.
The toddler's condition quickly deteriorated and he was flown to Bundaberg Hospital in a critical condition after going into cardiac arrest.
QAS critical care flight paramedic Shannyn Bourke said the rescue mission highlighted how quickly snake venom reacts on young children.
"Whilst in the ambulance and before retrieval with the helicopter the child's condition deteriorated very rapidly and experienced a cardiac arrest where he became unresponsive, stopped breathing and his heart actually stopped.
"We resuscitated him and after a few minutes his heart began beating on its own."
Agnes Water snake catcher Duanne Bowen said residents should be aware of snake safety.
So far this season he has had two calls to catch snakes in the Discovery Coast region.
"The old saying ... 'the only good snake is a dead snake', we have to get out of that," he said.
"They are vital for our ecosystem.
"What's important is for people to understand the basics of snake safety, like taking a stick in the garden with you to bash a rock or a tree where you're going to walk and walk with shoes and denim jeans on," he said.
THE toddler who was bitten by a snake at Seventeen Seventy yesterday is still in hospital.
He was airlifted to Brisbane's Lady Cilento Children's Hospital late yesterday afternoon in a critical but stable condition.
Today he is in a stable condition and is receiving treatment.
A TODDLER has been airlifted from Round Hill to the Lady Cilento Hospital with a suspected snake bite.
It has been reported that he was bitten on the leg at 3.50pm yesterday and was taken to the Bundaberg Hospital in a critical condition.
RACQ LifeFlight Rescue arrived at the Seventeen Seventy SES Grounds shortly before 4.30pm to retrieve the boy.
He arrived in Bundaberg in a 'critical' condition but is believed to be stabilising.
Last night he was transferred from the Bundaberg Hospital to the Brisbane Lady Cilento Children's Hospital for further treatment.
More to come