Tips on how to respond to cyclone, storm warnings
GLADSTONE residents have been urged to have a plan for how they will respond to an alert for a severe cyclone or storm.
With cyclone season now underway, the Gladstone Regional Council has released tips on what to do after an alert is sent.
Gladstone Region Mayor Gail Sellers said if you decide or are ordered to evacuate, you should follow the advice from the relevant authorities.
"They will advise you of the nearest temporary emergency shelter and other relevant information to move safely from one location to another," Councillor Sellers said.
- If you stay put after the alert, it will be time to activate your emergency plan that should already be in place.
- You will also need to secure your home and organise your family and pets to ride out the threat.
- Ensure your vehicle is full of fuel, roads are clear and you have your general emergency and individual evacuation kits.
- Before you leave your property, lock and secure your home including valuables and guns.
- In advance of a threat, it is also advisable to cut electricity to your home.
- You will need to follow through with your pet evacuation plan and remember to include pet supplies.
For more detailed checklists regarding how to safely click here