Thermomix leaves Coffs Harbour woman burned
IT WAS a night like any other as Coffs Harbour woman Holly Lacy boiled water to make pasta.
She was doing so in her TM31 Thermomix, a "do-it-all" appliance which processes, blends, weighs and heats food.
Ms Lacy was using a standard measuring cup after the Thermomix-branded one and its replacement had broken.
"When I went to remove the cup (which sits in the Thermomix lid), water just exploded from the machine," Ms Lacy said.
"I have second-degree burns and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
"I've had a week off work and it's sort of day in, day out as to what I can do at the moment, and it's cost me quite a bit of money for the treatment and dressings."
Ms Lacy said she hasn't contacted Thermomix about the incident, as she knows they will cite "user error" as the cause.
"They're very good at doing that," she said.
"I've had a number of issues with my Thermomix since I bought it and they won't take responsibility for any of those."
Choice has presented a mass incident report to the ACCC, reporting 87 burns cases, of which 18 required extensive treatment in hospital burns units.
The consumer group said some of those cases dated back several years, and is calling on the ACCC to investigate whether the manufacturer was aware of or acted on the claims.
Under mandatory reporting guidelines, the manufacturer has two days to provide written notice to the government if a customer is believed to suffer serious injuries caused by a product.
"They're downplaying everyone's injuries and just about everyone I've seen them come back to, they've said it's user error and not the machine," Ms Lacy said.
"I think there should be a complete recall.
"My Thermomix was in that recall batch and I've had it back to them two or three times with complaints of things breaking, but they just keep sending out parts.
"Ideally I'd like my money back and compensation for the injuries it's caused."