Tannum son stabbed mum in neck with butter knife, stole car

IN THE early hours of October 26, 2012 a 53-year-old Tannum Sands mother walked into her 23-year-old son's room to get him up to go to work.

But when she told Tyler Melbye to get up, he attacked her, knocking her to the ground and grabbing a butter knife she carried in. He pushed her against a wall and stabbed her in the neck repeatedly.

Melbye, now 26, then stole his mother's car and fled Tannum Sands. She was left to call an ambulance herself.

In stolen cars Melbye made his way to Townsville. When a police officer in Bowen tried to stop Melbye, he threw a glass bottle into the cop's head and the bottle shattered.


>> Gladstone man's 'ferocious' beachbashing

>> VIDEO | Adrenalin junky 'ninjas' caught at Gladstone school

Three days after he attacked his mother, Melbye was arrested in Townsville.

Since then, Melbye has been held behind bars. But on Thursday he was told he would be released to a mental health facility next week under an involuntary treatment order.

Melbye pleaded guilty at the Brisbane District Court to wounding and numerous assault and stealing charges.

The court heard that when officers from Gladstone tried to interview Melbye when he was in custody in Townville he attacked them - throwing a chair at them and punching one officer in the head repeatedly.

During his time in custody Melbye also attacked security guards and prisoners on a number of occasions. In one prison fight he threw a wheelie bin at guards and attacked a guard with a broom.

He has remained behind bars for three years and four months waiting to be sentenced and on Thursday District Court Judge David Kent took this time served into account.

The court heard Melbye has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and would remain on an involuntary treatment order at

The Park Centre for Mental Health in the western Brisbane suburb of Wacol when released.

Defence barrister James Godbolt said despite Melbye's current mental health problems he had been found to have been "of sound mind" when he attacked his mother.

Despite the attack on her, the court hear Melbye's mother continued to support him.

Mr Godbolt said although there was no "direct link" between Melbye's mental illness and the attack, it was reasonable to believe it had played some part in his behaviour.

Judge Kent said it was fortunate Melbye's mother's injuries were not life threatening.

"They were close to being much more serious," he said.

Melbye was sentenced to five years jail, suspended from last Wednesday.

For other offences he received jail time with parole starting this coming Wednesday that will allow him to go into The Park Centre for Mental Health.

If he commits a serious offence in the next five years, he will serve out the rest of his suspended jail sentence.

GALLERY: Vietnam Veterans Day service at ANZAC Park

GALLERY: Vietnam Veterans Day service at ANZAC Park

The day is gaining popularity with the public.

FULL LIST: Botanic to Bridge road closures

FULL LIST: Botanic to Bridge road closures

All you need to know and roads to avoid on Sunday morning.

“Serious concerns” for missing 80-year-old

“Serious concerns” for missing 80-year-old

AN 80-year-old man has been reported missing on the Gold Coast after travelling...

Local Partners