Sydney siege: Murdoch criticised over congratulations tweet
RUPERT Murdoch's arguably ill-advised tweet has been condemned by Twitter users for being "insensitive".
The News International boss and managing director of Australia's News Limited congratulated the Australian Daily Telegraph for being the first to report on the "bloody outcome" of the Sydney siege.
AUST gets wake-call with Sydney terror. Only Daily Telegraph caught the bloody outcome at 2.00 am. Congrats.— Rupert Murdoch (@rupertmurdoch) December 15, 2014
Two were killed in the hostage incident, including mother-of-three Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, the 34-year-old manager of the Lindt cafe in Sydney.
Gunman Man Haron Monis died after police stormed the café and seized the hostages in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
AUST, UK and US likely to catch most plots. Lone Wolves are the frightening danger.— Rupert Murdoch (@rupertmurdoch) December 15, 2014
However, Murdoch saw the incident as an opportunity to praise the Telegraph and voice his thoughts on more successful media outlets.
SYDNEY SIEGE: Latest Coverage
- Siege survivor Harriette Denny's tears for her slain boss
- Sydney siege footage shows sniper on roof opposite cafe
- Slain cafe manager's local relatives recount siege ordeal
- What love looks like: victims' families grieve at siege site
- 'Your mum has been shot': siege phone call to family
- Coast family's relief as daughter runs from siege
- HOW IT HAPPENED: Cafe manager killed while wrestling gun from madman
- 90,000 sign petition to toughen up bail laws after siege
- Martin Place hostage John O'Brien talks of his escape
- Sydney siege: Murdoch criticised over congratulations tweet