THE Federal Government has declared last month's Sydney siege a "terrorist incident" to ensure affected businesses can receive insurance payouts.
Gunman Man Haron Monis stormed Martin Place's Lindt Cafe on December 15, holding 18 people hostage in a 16-hour siege which ended with the deaths of cafe manager Tori Johnson, barrister Katrina Dawson, and Monis himself.
Treasurer Joe Hockey said the declaration would prevent insurers from refusing affected businesses' claims, even if their policies excluded losses from acts of terrorism.
"The Government has taken this action to ensure businesses that suffered damages from the incident will not be denied claims due to terrorism exclusions in their insurance policies," he said.
"Advice from the Australian Reinsurance Pool Corporation (ARPC) indicates the three insurers that have registered claims to date have stated they will not apply terrorism exclusion clauses.
Read more at ABC news.