Plans for revamped Agnes festival continue

DESPITE a slow start to fundraising efforts, the popular Agnes Water Blues, Roots and Rock Festival will go ahead.

That's the message from Discovery Coast Tourism and Commerce Group events committee co-ordinator Gassan Sangari.

The two-day festival, which was dumped by the Gladstone Regional Council in August but rescued by a group of volunteers, is an integral part of Agnes Water and Seventeen Seventy's calendar, he said.

"It's tremendous for the town," he said. "It gets half a million dollars for the weekend. Everyone benefits.

"All people are in favour of it and we will just keep playing hard."

Rock music has been added to the 2015 event, which will be held from February 20-22 at the SES grounds.

Mr Sangari said his energetic committee would not throw the towel in, despite sitting far from the $100,000 target.

"We hope the council does something next week," he said.

"It will be a massive help for us if people donate. Even $50, $500 or $50,000 and that would be good.

"I've been knocking on businesses' doors for sponsorship. We've got a few so far."

Next year will mark the seventh year of the festival, which has previously drawn big name acts such as Richard Clapton, Diesel and Jon Stevens.

Mr Sangari said ticket prices would drop and a new permanent stage would be added to the grounds.

If your business can help sponsor the event, phone 0408 102 310.



WATCH: Police continue to hunt Foodworks bandits

premium_icon WATCH: Police continue to hunt Foodworks bandits

CCTV reveals the two bandits who robbed a Rocky Foodworks

Knife threat to backpackers: ’Go back where you came from’

premium_icon Knife threat to backpackers: ’Go back where you came from’

A man allegedly threatened a backpacker with a knife and corkscrew

CQ the state’s manufacturing powerhouse

premium_icon CQ the state’s manufacturing powerhouse

CENTRAL Queensland has emerged as the powerhouse of Queensland’s regional...