Severe thunderstorms predicted to produce damaging winds
UPDATE 6PM: SEVERE thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett and Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
Locations which may be affected include Emerald, Biloela, Blackwater, Taroom, Rolleston, Baralaba, Springsure, Moura and Carnarvon National Park.
EARLIER: A SEVERE thunderstorm warning for damaging wind was issued on Monday at 4.27pm for people in the Northwest and parts of the Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, Central Highland and Coalfields, Central West, Capricornia and Wide Bay and Burnett Forecast Districts.
The thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Winton, Mount Isa, Cloncurry, Julia Creek, Camooweal and Biloela.
A 90 km/hr wind gust was recorded at The Monument at 3:45pm.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.