THE Bureau of Meteoroogy issued a severe thunderstorm warning at 4.47pm on Friday for people in the Wide Bay and Burnett and parts of the Capricornia and Southeast Coast Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Brisbane, Maroochydore, Gympie, Bundaberg, Gladstone and Kingaroy.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.