Severe thunderstorm warning for Capricornia and Widebay
UPDATE 8.15PM: A SEVERE thunderstorm warning for many parts of Queensland.
Areas that may be affected by damaging wind and/or large hailstones include the Gulf Country, Northwest, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett and Daling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Maranoa and Warrego district and the warning for this district is cancelled.
- 2-4cm hail was reported near Chinchilla at 7:10pm.
- 3cm hail was reported at Wandoan at 6:30pm.
EARLIER: THE Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe thunderstorm today at 5.42pm via their website.
The warning was for damaging wind and large hailstones for people in the Northwest and parts of the Gulf Country, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett, Maranoa and Warrego and Darling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.
Locations which may be affected include Dalby, Biloela, Rolleston, Baralaba, Springsure and Carnarvon National Park.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in the Northwest and parts of the Gulf Country districts.
Locations which may be affected include Mount Isa, Cloncurry, Camooweal, Dajarra Hotel, Urandangie and Duchess Hotel.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
- The next warning is due to be issued by 8:45 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in the Southeast Queensland area (east of Dalby from Rainbow Beach to Stanthorpe), a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219.