Fatal blaze was third fire in same street
THE fire in Barney Point in which a man died on Sunday night was the third fire in the same street in four years. Another fire also was fatal.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Services were called to the house fire in Callide Cres, Barney Point, a suburb of Gladstone, at 9.30pm on Sunday.
It took an hour to put out the blaze, by which time the house was destroyed.
It has been confirmed the deceased man was not a permanent occupant of the house.
Police have identified the 39-year-old man, but his name has not been released.
The house has been declared a crime scene.
The blaze was the third fire on Callide Cres in four years, with an earlier fatal fire on the block next door.
Gladstone Criminal Investigation Branch's Detective Senior Sergeant Luke Peachey said this was not the first fire on Callide Cres.
"We have had a number of calls there in regards to other fires at that street," he said.
"It's very concerning anytime a house has been engulfed by flames, let alone the same street as other fires."
He said a grandmother and granddaughter were permanent residents of the home and other people used the house to stay in occasionally.
"We are now conducting inquiries into how this person came to be at this address," Snr Sgt Peachey said.
"The room the person was found in would indicate he wouldn't have been able to escape as there was no external exit," he said.
A spokesperson from the Department of Housing and Public Works said the occupants were currently staying with family.
"We have organised a new home for them," the spokesperson said.
"When they are ready to go they will have a home to move into."
Family has lost everything in fire
CALLIDE Cr resident Paulla Coleman lives opposite where the man died in a house fire on Sunday night.
She said the occupants of the house were still in shock.
"Her son was with his grandmother so the mother went out with her friends," she said.
"She just kept thinking 'what if she was in the house with her boy?'"
She said it was sad to see her neighbour lose everything before Christmas.
"It's her son's first Christmas and I know she wanted to buy him something," she said.
"She's a good neighbour and they have lost everything inside and outside the house."
Mrs Coleman said there had been three fires in four years on her street.
"The first one was pretty frightening but I don't worry about it happening to me.
"I'm more concerned about her and her boy settling down again."
Anyone wanting to donate to the family can call 0477 171 141.
Callide Cres fires
- May 1, 2011 - fatal
- March 13, 2013
- December 14, 2014 - fatal