Search for MH370: Objects seen floating in new search area
FIVE aircraft spotted multiple objects of various colours during Friday's search for the missing Malaysian
Airlines flight MH370, the Australian Maritine Safety Authority says.
A total of 256,000 square kilometres was searched.
Photographic imagery of the objects was captured and will be assessed overnight, the AMSA said in a statement late Friday night.
"The objects cannot be verified or discounted as being from MH370 until they are relocated and
recovered by ships,'' the AMSA said.
A Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) P3 Orion reported sighting a number of objects white or light in
colour and a fishing buoy.
A Royal Australian Air Force P3 Orion relocated the objects detected by the RNZAF Orion and reported
it had seen two blue/grey rectangular objects floating in the ocean.
A second RAAF P3 Orion spotted various objects of various colours in a separate part of the search area
about 546 kilometres away.
A total of ten planes were tasked by AMSA in Friday's search and all have now departed the search area.
AMSA has tasked Chinese Maritime Administration patrol ship, Haixun 01, which is in the search area
and will be in a position to relocate the objects on Saturday.
Friday's search area was shifted north after international air crash investigators in Malaysia provided the
latest credible lead available to AMSA.
This was on the advice of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB).
Weather conditions in the area are expected to be reasonable for searching on Saturday.
Search area moves 1100 kilometres north after new lead
THE search area for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been updated after a new credible lead was provided to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
As a result, Friday's search will shift to an area 1,100 kilometres to the north east based on updated advice provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), Australia's investigation agency, has examined this advice and determined that this is the most credible lead to where debris may be located.
The new search area is approximately 319,000 square kilometres and around 1,850 kilometres west of Perth.
The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost.
It indicated that the aircraft was travelling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance the aircraft travelled south into the Indian Ocean.
ATSB advises the potential flight path may be the subject of further refinement as the international investigative team supporting the search continues their analysis.
The Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation is re-tasking satellites to image the new area.
Weather conditions have improved in the area and ten aircraft are tasked for today's search.
They include two Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) P3 Orions, a Japanese Coast Guard jet, a Japanese P3 Orion, a Republic of Korea P3 Orion, a Republic of Korea C130 Hercules, a Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) P3 Orion, a Chinese military Ilyushin IL-76, a United States Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft, and one civil jet acting as a communications relay.
A further RAAF P3 Orion has been placed on standby at Pearce to investigate any reported sightings.
There are now six vessels relocating to the new search area including HMAS Success and five Chinese ships
Son dismisses claims father crashed plane deliberately
THE youngest son of the man piloting MH370 when it went down in the southern Indian Ocean has told dismissed allegations his father may have crashed the Malaysian Airlines flight on purpose.
The New Straits Times reports Mr Ahmad Seth, 26-year-old son of captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, said his father was not the sort of man to do such a thing.
"I've read everything online. But I've ignored all the speculation. I know my father better," he told the newspaper.
"We may not be close as he travels so much. But I understand him."
These are the first comments made by the pilot's son since the flight disappeared on March 8, travelling from Kuala Lumpur to the Chinese capital of Beijing.
Meanwhile, Malaysian authorities are believed to have told Chinese relatives of those lost aboard the missing flight that it has evidence that is being kept from the public.
The Straits Times reports a briefing in Beijing by a five-person group heard the evidence included air traffic control radio transcripts, radar data and airport security recordings.
Relatives were furious that the Malaysian team - including Malaysia Airlines pilot and senior civil aviation official - could not answer some questions about satellite analysis because it was being done by British firm Inmarsat.
On Monday, the Malaysian Prime Minister said the latest information suggested MH370 went down about 2500km south-west of Perth and that those on board were not likely to have survived.
Some at the briefing also demanded the Malaysian authorities retract its announcement that the plane crash in the southern Indian Ocean.