Regulations for fires change
AS fire season draws close, regulations have changed in an effort to prevent a repeat of last year’s devastating bushfires.
The season begins at midnight on Monday and new regulations mean that even smaller fires now require a permit during the danger period.
Previously people were able to light fires that were smaller than two metres in height and width without a permit.
Queensland Fire and Rescue service manager of rural operations for the Central Region John Fisher said no fires, except those used for cooking, would now be allowed without a permit during the fire season.
“We’ve experience a lot of fires from people burning rubbish in the back yard, relying on that exemption, and it creating bigger fires,” Mr Fisher said.
“Undoubtedly we had a number of fires in Central Queensland that started from exactly these sorts of fires and only just recently we’ve had the exact same thing, where people go out and decide to go and do a bit of burning in their back yard and haven’t given sufficient thought to it. That happened on a number of occasions last year.”
Mr Fisher said people could still get permits to light the fires if they needed to.
“You have to prove to the fire warden that you are properly situated and the fire is going to be conducted safely and you have the means to suppress it if you need to and have control measures in place to ensure it won’t escape.”
The fire danger period runs from midnight Monday to midnight January 2.