Mum never heard of Strep B before twins were stillborn
REBECCA Garozzo lost her twins Arlo and Evie at 35 weeks.
The placenta and both babies' lungs and brains were riddled with group B streptococcus bacteria.
Her babies died inside her and two days later she gave birth to their bodies. That was November 3, 2012.
The New South Wales mum had no idea anything was wrong because there were no obvious symptoms and she hadn't been tested yet; tests are usually done at 36 weeks.
Ms Garozzo did have problems with thrush but was too embarrassed to tell her doctor and didn't know that meant she could have the bacteria.
"They say it's rare - well it happened to me, so it's not rare for me," Ms Garozzo said.
Ms Garozzo wants New South Wales to consider doing testing once a month.
She can't believe Queensland doesn't regularly test for the bacteria.
Mums speak out on Strep B tragedies
"My sister lives in Queensland and after she got pregnant she asked for the test.
"She was shocked the doctors just brushed it off and told her "your sister was unlucky and we don't need to test".
"Imagine being told that and then having your baby die from it?"
Ms Garozzo says she did have thrush when she was pregnant, but was too embarrassed to tell her doctor.
"I had no idea what Strep B was and I didn't have any information on it.
"I think to myself all the time, if I had told them I had thrush would they have tested me for it?"
When she fell pregnant again, NSW health tested her every two weeks, she was given oral antibiotics and she was given the treatment - an IV drip during labour.