Rates, roads and rubbish: PJ Sobhanian
WE asked each candidates their views on the key roles of a council.
The answers have been published in the paper over the past few weeks, but below are PJ Sobhanian's un-edited answers.
What do you think about the current state of the following council issues/services;
I want downward pressure on rates. We should always be looking at reducing waste, managing costs and reviewing expenditure. In today's competitive environment, we can not afford to be complacent. Our attitude should be one of continuous improvement, the same as running any business (my own included).
I have in the recent past, recorded publicly, made a request for a report into one such area of expenditure as part of good business practice. The more information we have, the better we can together work as a team, to keep costs to Council down and therefore put downward pressure on rates.
Additionally, if we are successful at reclaiming water dividends this would further put downward pressure on rates.Rubbish The feedback that I have received on household rubbish collection has been positive.
- All Councillors have the following responsibilities:
- Ensuring the local government, discharges its responsibilities under this Act, achieves its corporate plan and complies with all laws that apply to local governments.
- Providing high quality leadership to the local government and the community;
- participating in council meetings, policy development, and decision-making, for the benefit of the local government area;
- being accountable to the to the community for the local government's performance.