Menu
News

Quick-thinking neighbour saves deep-sleeper from fire

QUICK thinking from a South Gladstone resident has saved his sleeping neighbour from a potential house fire in South Gladstone last night.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services received a 000 call just before 11pm last night from a unit complex on Oaka St, with the caller saying a fire alarm had been activated, the smell of smoke was coming from inside a unit and he believed someone was inside.

Police were first to arrive on the scene, where they gained entry to the unit and found "burning cooking goods" on the stove, according to a QFES spokesperson.

They were able to wake the man inside, who had been fast asleep despite the fire alarm, and helped him to exit the building before paramedics and fire fighters arrived shortly afterwards.

The man was assessed by ambulance officers at the scene for smoke inhalation, while fire fighters extinguished the fire and ventilated the property.

"It was very lucky this person had vigilant neighbours," the QFES spokesperson said.

"(The neighbour) heard the alarm and went to investigate, could tell someone was inside, and (called us) after he went to wake them up and didn't get a response."

Topics:  gladstone fire



'You're the boss, mate': Man won't stop interrupting magistrate

Gladstone Court House, Yarroon Street.



Photo Brenda Strong / The Observer

Selwyn Noel Eather, 53, said he had 'unknowingly' ingested drugs.

Safe Haven's chance to set up a natural refuge

TINDER DRY: Ms Janssen said because of the very dry conditions on the South Australian property they found no evidence of wombats breeding and "no babies”.

Instead of being killed, wombats may be re-homed in South Australia.

NEXT STAGE: New community asset coming to Tannum Sands

LISTEN UP: The new stage will mean the committee behind the BAM festival will no longer have to hire a stage each month.

The facility will be donated to council by BTABC and Boyne Smelters.

Local Partners