Queensland will slam the border shut to the city of Adelaide as of 11.59pm tonight.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the decision today, which will mean Adelaide will be declared a hot spot.

Anyone who arrives from Adelaide from tomorrow will have to go into mandatory hotel quarantine.

It will apply to anyone who has been in the city since Monday last week.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young has urged any Queenslander who recently arrived from Adelaide to get tested and to isolate themselves.

Anyone from Adelaide who arrives into Queensland today will need get tested and quarantine for 14 days in accommodation of their choice.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced Queensland’s borders will close to the city of Adelaide from 11.59pm tonight.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced Queensland’s borders will close to the city of Adelaide from 11.59pm tonight.

The mandatory provisions will kick in from 11.59pm tonight.

Dr Young described it as a "rapid increase" of cases, saying some had been in "complex situations".

"We need to get more information about where the risks are," she said.

"Anyone who has been in Adelaide since Monday of last week … should go and get themselves tested at one of our clinics throughout the state."

Dr Young said those people should still self-isolate for 14 days even if their test results come back negative.

"I think it's unlikely that virus was circulating prior to last Monday," she said.

"I think people who were in Adelaide prior to last Monday are probably fine."

Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young has urged any Queenslander who recently arrived from Adelaide to get tested and to isolate themselves. Picture: Sarah Marshall
Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young has urged any Queenslander who recently arrived from Adelaide to get tested and to isolate themselves. Picture: Sarah Marshall

Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said there had been arrivals from Adelaide into the Gold Coast, Brisbane and Cairns today.

It is understood there have been about 7,000 people arrive into Queensland from Adelaide since Monday last week.

Qantas is currently operating 20 flight between Brisbane and Adelaide, but will likely decrease that number as restrictions come into play.

"With isolation or quarantine requirements changing for travellers from South Australia in a number of states and territories, we have already seen a number of customers booked to travel to and from Adelaide in the next few days take up this option," Qantas said in a statement.

"We are looking at what impact these changes will have on our schedule, but it's likely we'll be reducing flights to and from Adelaide for the next few weeks."

It comes as four states imposed restrictions on South Australians after cases jumped from three to 17 overnight, with fears more could be infected. However, NSW will not close its borders.

Ms Palaszczuk tweeted earlier today warning travellers from Adelaide of possible restrictions.

 

"Anyone about to leave Adelaide should be advised we are assessing the COVID-19 outbreak and may place restrictions on travel, including mandatory quarantine on arrivals," she tweeted.

"More details will be announced shortly"

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said anyone arriving from South Australia at Melbourne airport would be interviewed and may be required to undergo a rapid test.

The Northern Territory has imposed a two week quarantine period, after Chief Minister Michael Gunner and Chief Health Officer Hugh Heggie made the announcement while two flights from Adelaide to Darwin were still in the air.

In Tasmania, Premier Peter Gutwein has urged those considering travelling to Tasmania from South Australia to "defer their travel" until the SA cluster is "completely understood".

Mr Gutwein said those who have entered Tasmania from South Australia since Monday November 9 (about 900 people) will need to self isolate immediately either in their residence or in their hotel room until the government provided a further update this afternoon.

 

 

 

Meanwhile, passengers on a Sunday flight from Adelaide to Perth were taken aback after they were told they had to go into two weeks' quarantine on ­arrival, despite the West Australian government only hours earlier assuring South Australians they could enter the state without having to isolate.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said its health experts consulted with SA Health and ordered the changes immediately in light of the latest outbreak in SA.

South Australia is rushing to contain a new coronavirus cluster after cases jumped from just three to 17 overnight.

A Hungry Jacks worker and an aged care worker are among the new cases.

It comes after three people outside of hotel quarantine tested positive to the virus.

SA Health said an 80-year-old woman had tested positive after being treated at the Lyell McEwin Hospital in Adelaide's northern suburbs, it was revealed on Sunday.

Originally published as Qld borders set to close to SA over 'very dangerous' cluster



Woman injured at Boyne Island boat ramp

Premium Content Woman injured at Boyne Island boat ramp

Paramedics were called to the ramp on Friday morning after the woman slipped.

How your smartphone can keep you crocodile-safe

Premium Content How your smartphone can keep you crocodile-safe

Crocodile numbers have exploded since they were protected and the app is designed...

‘Stole her childhood’: Man forced stepdaughter into sex acts

Premium Content ‘Stole her childhood’: Man forced stepdaughter into sex acts

WARNING, GRAPHIC. The man aged 51-52 committed a number of sexual offences against...