Prizemoney on hold until trainers’ cases are heard
LEADING Victorian trainers facing charges of presenting horses with elevated cobalt levels will have their prizemoney from major races frozen until their cases are resolved.
Racing Victoria announced yesterday afternoon that Peter Moody, Danny O'Brien and Mark Kavanagh would have any prizemoney their horses earned from Group or Listed races, normally 10%, withheld until their cases were heard by the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board.
The father and son combination of Lee and Shannon Hope are also embroiled in the cobalt drama, but told stewards last week they were prepared to continue training, but to have any prizemoney held by Racing Victoria.
The Hopes will have their case heard by the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board in mid-October.
RV chairman of stewards Terry Bailey said all of the trainers would forfeit the prizemoney if they were eventually found guilty of administering cobalt, which is a prohibited substance.
"We're all about protecting the industry and the reputation of the sport, particularly heading into the (spring carnival)," Bailey said.
"We're of the view they ought not be allowed to profit during that period.
"In our view it's the appropriate measure to take. We're talking about Group and Listed races only."
All of the trainers can still receive prizemoney from lesser grade races until the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board hearings.
They can also appeal the decision up until 5pm on Thursday.
The result was a minor consolation for the trainers who had been asked last week to 'show cause' why they shouldn't have their licenses suspended pending the hearings into the charges.
Moody, O'Brien and Kavanagh last week turned down on offer from stewards that they could continue training until the hearings if they agreed to have any prizemoney earned during that period frozen.
- APN SPORTS BUREAU