Former ports chief glad to see the end of harbour dredging
AFTER two years of dredging plagued by controversial issues from diseased fish to seagrass loss, former port chief Leo Zussino is telling the same story - this time with a side of sausages.
He joined new Gladstone Ports Corporation CEO Craig Doyle, and Western Basin Dredging and Disposal project leader Peter O'Sullivan, to update the community on dredging activity at a barbecue at CQ University on Wednesday.
Although the $1.3 billion dredging project finished last week, studies around the harbour will continue until 2021, with the GPC spending about $17 million in environmental study projects plus a further $5 million for its biodiversity offset strategy.
"I'm more than most grateful that the dredging has finished," Mr Zussino said.
"It's been a very interesting time over the last couple of years, but it's good to see now that we have a proliferate of scientific data and information that says we've completed the project in a sound and structural way, and we have minimised the impacts we've had on the environment."
Dredging remains a political issue as environmentalists campaign for an end to spoil dumping in the Reef Marine Park and Heritage Area.