Search called off for missing Rockhampton fisherman
POLICE have called off the search for a fisherman who went missing nine days ago.
Inspector Darren Somerville from the Rockhampton Police said police had been searching for the missing man since January 24 and it was becoming increasingly apparent the man would not be found alive.
Police are still reluctant to release the man's name because his family is still extremely upset at his disappearance.
"Even though we have officially halted the search we will of course welcome any information that comes to light from the public or people have any new information," Inspector Somerville said.
The man simply known as "Mick" was a long-time friend of Steve Crear who both set off on Wednesday in perfect conditions to go crabbing.
Mr Crear survived an incredible two-day ordeal after the pair's boat sunk near Port Alma.
The stricken men clung to an esky lid before Mr Crear's mate was washed off the lid and swept away.
That was nine days ago and so after a massive air and sea search authorities have called it off.
The man's family have been contacted by police and informed of the decision.