TIMES GONE BY: Local couple weds on June 15, 1940
15 June, 1940:
St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was the setting for the wedding of Alma Lillian, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs RE Farnsworth, of Auckland Hill, and Cyril David, third son of Mr and Mrs Arthur Wassell of Fowler Street.
The church was very daintily decorated by the members of the Girls' Auxiliary, and as the bride is the first member of the VAD of the Gladstone Red Cross to be married, the Detachment formed a Guard of Honour outside the church.
The bride was given away by her father. The bridesmaids were Misses Betty Paterson, Daphne Farnsworth and Margaret Ward.
Mr Alan Brown was best man.
The wedding breakfast was held at the Orion café, where the decorations were in blue and pink to match the bridesmaid's colours.
A three-tiered wedding cake ornamented the bride's table.
Mrs Farnsworth, the mother of the bride, received the guests wearing a frock of dark royal blue Romalaine with a tucked bodice and touches of white.
She carried a bouquet of pink carnations and sweet peas tied with blue tulle.
Mrs Wassell, mother of the bridegroom, chose a frock of navy blue fancy cloque, the bodice featuring a V-front of ivory lace and white shoulder posy and navy accessories.
She carried a bouquet of dark carnations and sweet peas.
- Paulette Flint, history writer