Panels on a home’s roof spark small fire

SOLAR panels have caused the roof of a Tinbeerwah home to catch alight yesterday morning.

Fire crews, police and ambulance officers attended the blaze on Pacific View Dr at 9am before handing over to the Electrical Safety Office who worked for about an hour to get the fire under control. They managed to confine the fire to just the roof of the house.

Clean Energy Council media manager Mark Bretherton said initial reports there was an explosion at the house would not have been caused by the solar panels but faulty electricals.

"I've never heard of solar panels exploding. It's very unlikely and I can't see how they would," he said.

"What sometimes happens is if a switch hasn't been installed properly you might get a small fire but there's only been a handful of incidents in the history of the industry."

The SunWorks Solar Centre owner Mike Trust said the incident was no cause for alarm among solar panel users and the devices were safe. "It's more likely that your fridge or tumble drier will catch on fire."



School holidays: Hot deals, what to do around Gladstone

Premium Content School holidays: Hot deals, what to do around Gladstone

Take advantage of the dozens of free places to go and things to do this...

Gladstone man caught with illegal drugs at medical facility

Premium Content Gladstone man caught with illegal drugs at medical facility

Nathan Robert David Ezekiela told police he couldn’t remember the incident.

Meet the team: News reporter Liana Walker

Premium Content Meet the team: News reporter Liana Walker

“Unlike my previous fleeting dreams, I kept at this one.”