Owner has a never-say-die approach after fire setback
GLENN Luck had just arrived at his hotel room in Thailand when he received the devastating phone call that his business Polymac Australia Pty Ltd had been gutted by a fire.
It was meant to be day one of a 10-day overseas holiday, but it became the first day of an uphill battle to rebuild 15 years of hard work and dedication.
"I had just got to the... room and laid down when Mackay police rang me up," he said.
Two days later Mr Luck flew back to Mackay to start the clean up and do what he could to save his business.
It was early in the morning on June 5 this year that Mackay firefighters were called to extinguish a blaze at the Fursden St business.
Four crews responded to the triple 0 call about 5.20am, but they arrived to find the building engulfed by flames.
The fire caused significant structural damage including a partial collapse and work had to be done to secure the integrity of the building before scenes of crime and fire investigators could enter.
Mr Luck said at least $100,000 of stock alone had been destroyed in the fire.
He estimated about $500,000 in damages as a result of the fire and that didn't include lost work and wages as a result of the blaze.
Mr Luck said he was absolutely speechless when he heard the news.
"Shock, horror, why", was what kept running through his mind.
"Is everyone ok, are my dogs ok?"
Mr Luck had accommodation at the business premises where he often stayed overnight while the machines were running.
"If I was there, being a caretaker, I would have walked into it," he said.
His two beloved dogs Peppe and Louie also lived at the premises. Luckily they were unhurt in the fire.
Mr Luck began Polymac 15 years ago in 2000 with three others.
It involved using polyurethane, which is a rubber compound, to create products, which are used to refurbish engine mounts, Mr Luck said.
He created products for basically anything with an engine, as well as suspension components for trucks and conveyor belts and even fire resistant anti static polyurethane products for underground mines.
Mr Luck described it as a "specialised industry" although there was not specific trade.
For the last seven years Mr Luck had run the business on his own having bought the other three out over the years.
"It was the first business I ever started and never had a problem until now," he said.
THE CLEAN UP
Although the fire was labelled as non suspicious, Mr Luck feels like his business has been taken from him.
He said he was yet to see any kind of payout from his insurance company because of a clause in the contract.
Luckily the moulds Mr Luck used to create his products and his tooling weren't destroyed in the fire.
Mr Luck had two office women working for him. He found one another job and the other now just worked for him part time.
They have each taken one of his dogs.
"I really miss having the dogs around," he said.
A one-man operation, Mr Luck is fitting the clean up around his working hours and it was a slow process he said.
But Mr Luck has a never-say-die attitude so he is putting in the long hours to get his business back to where it was.
Despite this hit, Polymac is back in operation with Mr Luck at the helm.
"It's still a horror when you come here every morning and look at it (the damage)," he said.
Mr Luck said Polymac was still going strong.
He added that he was feeling very positive about the future of his business.