Only remnants remain of Baffle Creek's early history
UNLIKE the Great Barrier Reef and Sydney Harbour Bridge, some heritage-listed structures aren't even there any more.
But that doesn't stop their role in history being well worth remembering.
Baffle Creek is home to two sites where only remnants remind passers by of their significance in years gone by.
One is the ferry crossing and the other, nearby, is the site of the sugar mill.
There's nothing but water between the end of Ferry Rd and Boat Ramp Rd on the opposite bank, but this once a was a vital link for transport and commerce.
A stump testifies to the simple but practical rope pulley system that played a pivotal role in the area's settlement and growth.
Baffle Creek was established in 1908, and the Wartburg Hill sugar mill followed in 1911.
In 1915, the mill operators built the ferry, superseding one just downstream that had linked the town of Rosedale and the settlement of Baffle Creek.
The ferry carted sugar cane, milk and butter destined for the North Coast Railway to Gladstone, Bundaberg, Maryborough and Brisbane until the Euleilah Bridge opened in 1965.
The Gladstone Regional Council local heritage register, adopted in July 2013, includes 66 places that have natural significance or strong meaning for a particular community, individual, group or organisation.
The Queensland Heritage Act 1992 dictates every local government keep a local register of places of cultural heritage significance.