On this day: Wedding bells ring out in Gladstone
1939: Wedding Bells: Fellowes-Bruce. At Our Lady Star of the Sea Church, Gladstone, Mary Kathleen, twin daughter of Mr and Mrs R. J. Bruce, Gladstone, was married to William Lewis, only son of Mrs and the late Mr EC Fellowes, Gladstone.
The bride wore an ankle-length gown of white crepe lame, the full skirt cut diagonally in front and falling to a train at the back.
Her tiered veil of cut tulle was lent by Mrs C. Pope and fell from a top-knot of orchids.
She wore a pendant which had been given to her grandmother on her wedding day.
The bridesmaid, Miss Evelyn Bruce, twin sister of the bride, wore an ankle-length frock of mauve self-check organdie lame, the gathered neckline being caught with a diamante brooch. Mr C. R. Griffiths acted as best man.
The wedding breakfast was held in the Country Women's Association's Hall, which had been decorated with streamers and flowers in the bridesmaid's colours, the centre arch being covered with streamers.
The three-tiered wedding cake was made by the bride's mother and iced by Mrs D Jackson.
The bridal couple left by the afternoon's train for Brisbane, Toowoomba and the Northern Rivers of New South Wales, where their honeymoon will be spent.