Woman pleads guilty to assaulting police officer

THE mother of a woman who went missing in 2013 has escaped spending time behind bars after she spat in the face of a police officer.

Sheena Irene McBride, 45, was ordered to serve her nine month jail term as an intensive correction order.

This means she will serve her sentence under intense supervision in the community and be required to regularly report to a supervisor, attend rehabilitation and counselling as well as community service.

McBride pleaded guilty in Hervey Bay District Court to one count of serious assault of a police office.

Crown prosecutor Matthew Hynes said police were called to a Maryborough home on March 3 last year after reports of McBride yelling out the front of a house.

"She was aggressive and told police to 'get out' and 'f**** off'," he said.

He said McBride then spat at a female police officer.

"The spittle landed on her face," he said.

Mr Hynes said the spit landed on the side of the officer's face and did not hit her eyes, nose or mouth.

"It's a degrading act - it's a despicable act," he said.

Defence barrister Paul Rutledge said McBride was remorseful for her actions.

"She said to me in conference that 'it was just not right'," he said.

"This was an offence committed when she was under the influence of alcohol."

Mr Rutledge said McBride had previously been engaged in the community and helped set up the Cellwatch program in Hervey Bay.

He said it was not until she was 41 which the offending started.

The court heard McBride's daughter Monique Clubb went missing in 2013, leaving McBride devastated.

Judge Helen Bowskill said she had "no difficulty inferring'" that the officer experienced an "abhorrent thing" when McBride spat in her face.

"It is a degrading and despicable act for someone to spit on a police officer who is just carrying out their job," she said.

Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath said it was not appropriate for her to comment on specific sentences in court.

She said it was a matter for the prosecutors.

Ms D'Ath said the state government was working to reduce violence against all emergency services workers.

Calliope man Ben Wriede wins Botanic to Bridge by 18 seconds

Calliope man Ben Wriede wins Botanic to Bridge by 18 seconds

Open Male and Female 8km winners cross the line with time to spare.

PAY FREEZE: Council's second offer after workers reject plan

PAY FREEZE: Council's second offer after workers reject plan

Council has been challenged to address years of wage freezes

Local Partners