Nicole Kidman: Don't blame me for Grace of Monaco
NICOLE Kidman appears to be distancing herself from Grace of Monaco, after saying that she had "no control" over the making of the film.
The biopic, which opened this year's Cannes Film Festival was almost universally panned by critics, with members of the audience reportedly laughing during the screening.
She told The Sunday Telegraph: "As much as people go, 'Oh, the actor is totally responsible,' the actor doesn't go into the editing room," adding: "I wasn't producing the film. I wasn't directing it and I don't have any control over it.
"You literally do the performance and then you leave."
Grace of Monaco follows the life of the Hollywood star after she married Rainier III Prince of Monaco, Albert's father in 1956, and left America.
Kidman stars as the film icon while British actor Tim Roth takes on the role of Rainier.
As well as being slammed artistically, the film has been heavily criticised by the royal family of Monaco, who have said that the film is not a biopic and that numerous requests for changes were ignored.
Prince Albert II, Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie distanced themselves from Grace of Monaco back in January, when they said that the film did not constitute as a biopic.
The royal family went so far so to release a statement on May 2 saying "The Princely family does not in any way wish to be associated with this film which reflects no reality and regrets that its history has been misappropriated for commercial purposes."
Despite having no control over the film, Kidman said that if the royal family of Monaco saw the film, it may "dissipate" a lot of their misgivings.