Strep B claimed Chrissy's baby Harper and wedding day
NEWCASTLE mum Chrissy Sharman nearly died from a blood infection in 2011 while she was pregnant with her second baby - and that was just one week before her wedding.
Baby Harper was still born at 24 weeks. Post-mortem testing showed group B streptococcus had killed her baby.
The New South Wales hospital where Ms Sharman had her first child Darby tested for the bacteria at 36 weeks and says she would have been tested with her second pregnancy too, only the bacteria set in before the screening test was done.
She will forever be asking herself, "was there anything I could have done?"
"The answer is nothing because I can't change what happened.
"I think the testing should be done at least three times during the pregnancy."
Mums speak out on Strep B tragedies
The wedding, which was to be a surprise for the guests, was called off and the ordeal actually led to the breakdown Ms Sharman's relationship with her partner Paul.
They couldn't cope with what had happened as a couple.
After a year apart they got back together.
"We actually got married under the tree where we spread her ashes," Ms Sharman said.
"Even in New South Wales where you do get swabbed for Strep B these horrible things can happen anyway. What chance do Queensland women have? It baffles me, it really does."