New Bruce Hwy project to reduce head-on collisions
NEW pavement widening works designed to reduce head-on collisions are ready to start on the Bruce Highway between Glenwood and south of Tiaro.
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said the works were being undertaken as part of the Bruce Highway widening package between Caboolture and St Lawrence.
The $9 million project is designed to improve safety at high-risk locations on the Bruce Highway.
"These works will include the construction of a wide centre line treatment to increase the distance between opposing directions of traffic," Mr Chester said.
Queensland Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports Mark Bailey said the upgrades were designed to reduce head-on collisions.
"The works will deliver real safety benefits for the more than 9300 motorists who use this section of the highway daily," Mr Bailey said.
"The wide centreline treatment is being implemented at trouble spots along the highway as part of the Australian and Queensland Government's commitment to upgrade the Bruce Highway".
"The wide centreline treatment is saving lives in Queensland, and was recognised as a leader in road safety at last year's 3M-ACRS Diamond Road Safety Awards - an Australia wide road safety award focusing on innovation and effectiveness to save lives and injuries on road."
Federal Member for Wide Bay Warren Truss said the additional one-metre separation would give drivers more space and time to avoid a crash if they strayed out of their lanes.
"It will also provide motorists with more space to pass vehicles stopped on the side of the road," Mr Truss said.
State Member for Maryborough Bruce Saunders welcomed news the highway was receiving safety upgrades at multiple locations.
"Sunstate Group Qld has been awarded the construction contract and works are expected to be completed in late 2016, weather permitting," Mr Saunders said.
"Motorists should expect changed conditions and allow additional time for their journey between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Friday."