TANNUM Sands residents Darren (Dags) and Amanda Hansford's Ford Fairmont XR 1996 featured within The Observer's Me and My Ride section.
Name: Darren (Dags) and Amanda Hansford
Suburb: Tannum Sands
Make, model and year of car: Ford, Fairmont XR, 1966, opal green in colour
How long have you had it?
Bought it in 2000. Fully restored inside and out by myself and my wife over 4 years. First registered in June 2004
Where have you been in it?
We have been several places with the camper trailer in tow.
- From here to SA via the "Grand Pacific Drive" and the "Great Ocean Road "and back
- Wintersun, Gold Coast.
- Several trips to Mackay.
- Around the track at Bathurst twice.
- Silverton (where Mad Max was made)
- Roxby Downs and Andamooka SA
- Lots of runs with the Curtis Coast Cruisers
What upgrades have you had done to it?
Engine mods, 347 Stroker crank, aluminium Cleveland heads, 750 double pumper carby, modified exhaust and fuel system, 5-speed TKO gearbox, upgrade suspension and brakes, hotwire wheels. Now has personalized number plates.
Would you ever trade it in?
No, I've spent too many hours and dollars on it.
Is this your dream car and why? If not, what is your dream car?
Yes, I have always liked the shape and look of the XR's with all the stainless trim and the "oldskool" V8 sound.
How do you look after it?
With Bowden's car care cleaning products and a lot of elbow grease.
Other cars in our collection, include:
- Ford, Falcon XR, 1967, Gold in colour;
- Ford, Falcon XB 2 Door coupe, 1975, Gold in colour
- VW, Beach Buggy, 1958, purple in colour