Menu
Sport

CQ's Cameron Munster to make debut for Storm as fullback

Cameron Munster will be making his debut with Melbourne Storm on Saturday
Cameron Munster will be making his debut with Melbourne Storm on Saturday Allan Reinikka

CAMERON Munster's "outstanding pre-season" has delivered the Melbourne Storm's famous No.1 jersey to the 19-year-old.

The former Rockhampton Leagues Club Capras star was yesterday named at fullback for the Storm in their opening NRL trial against the Canberra Raiders ahead of the 2014 season.

Munster, who joined the Storm after a stand-out Intrust Super Cup season with the Capras in which he claimed the competition's rookie of the year award, will get his first opportunity to don a Storm jersey at Melbourne's AAMI Park on Saturday night.

Australian and Queensland State of Origin fullback Billy Slater is still on the comeback trail from off-season knee surgery and is unavailable on Saturday night.

Munster and Longreach product Kurt Mann have been named in a 17-man squad for Saturday's trial against the Raiders after both had outstanding pre-seasons.

"The boys have trained hard," Melbourne Storm assistant coach Anthony Seibold said. "Cameron, Tim (Glasby) and Kurt have been going really well.

"Munster has been outstanding. He handled the conditioning easily - he was outstanding in it actually.

"Where he was poor was in the wrestle, but he's been working on that constantly and he's getting better.

"It's been a big challenge for him but he's done very well."

Munster began the pre-season vying for the five-eighth role at the club after it was left vacant by St George-Illawarra recruit Gareth Widdop.

However, the youngster made the transition to fullback after the new year's break and has flourished.

"All pre-Christmas he trained in the halves but since then he's moved back to fullback and he's been very good," Seibold said.

"He's been training the house down at fullback and he'll play this weekend."

Topics:  cameron munster melbourne storm