Man 'gone without a trace' as family looks for answers

It has been almost two years since Paul Stevenson disappeared without a trace.
It has been almost two years since Paul Stevenson disappeared without a trace. contributed

EIGHTEEN-MONTH-OLD Mia Steffensen has never seen her grandfather's face, been held in his arms or been soothed by the sound of his voice.

But when she goes outside at night, she points to the stars and tell her mother Nikki Stevenson: "That's Pa's star."

It has been almost two years since Mia's grandfather Paul Stevenson disappeared without a trace but, despite their circumstances, his family refuses to give up on him, even making sure little Mia knows who he is.

"It's important for us to reinforce to her who he is," Ms Stevenson said.

"We show her photos and she gives him kisses."

Bundaberg man Mr Stevenson has not been seen since setting off for an early morning motorbike ride on Sunday, March 11, 2012.

Two days later his 1978 Honda CB750 was found down an embankment on the Mt Perry-Gin Gin Rd and despite extensive ground and air searches, no trace of him has ever been found.

"It doesn't get easier," Ms Stevenson said.

"It's like you're stuck in one spot because you don't know anything."

Little Mia was born on July 8, 2012, and Ms Stevenson said her father had been excited about meeting his grandchild; something he never got to do.

"When someone passes away you've got closure and you know what happened to them and you can visit their grave but it's so hard when they're missing because you don't have a clue what happened," she said.

"We've got a bike and a helmet and that's it.

"We don't have a grave site to visit or any place to go. The best we have is the side of the road where his bike was found."

Police investigations have been unable to shed any light on the disappearance.

"It's literally like he just vanished into the thin air," Ms Stevenson said.

"They've been over every detail, his bank accounts, everything."

"We just keep in touch with police but there hasn't really been any changes."

Ms Stevenson said the tight-knit family had become even closer, never taking one another for granted.

"This was our second Christmas without him and it always used to be a big family thing for us but it's not the same now," she said.

"It's very difficult but we've just got to keep trying to live life as normally as we can.

"It's very sad."

If you have any information about Paul Stevenson's disappearance, get in touch with Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or phone Bundaberg Police on 4153 9111.

Topics:  family missing people police relationships

'Scary': Second car torched in South Gladstone street

BURNT OUT: Sharon Lord's car was destroyed in a suspected arson attack on Oaka St in Gladstone, the second in a week.

An Oaka St woman has no idea why her car was seemingly targeted.

'The ball is in Barnaby's court': Ken O'Dowd

COLLEAGUES: Barnaby Joyce (right) and Flynn MP Ken O'Dowd in 2016.

The Flynn MP came just short of calling for the Deputy PM to resign.

Agnes surfers' taste of swell today short-lived

Amelia McKay enjoying a surf at Agnes Water.

The swell finally arrived, but it won't be here for long.

Local Partners