Meet friends, learn parenting skills at playgroup
KRYSTA De Martin picked up a few tips on getting her newborn to sleep, good books and nappies from her playgroup.
And the mum of Jaxon, 4, and Lucas, 2, still takes her children to playgroups twice a week.
She said they were a perfect way to meet other parents and for the two boys to learn and meet other children their age.
The family moved to Gladstone 18 months ago from the Gold Coast.
"We're at Tannum Sands and that's the only way that I've met people around here, from going to playgroups. I've made a lot of good friends," she said.
She takes her two sons to Focus on Fours and Mini Me's.
"Focus on Fours is designed to get children ready to start school, it's quite structured, which is great," she said. "They all have to eat together and they will visit one of the schools next term."
Compared to the Gold Coast, she and her partner Wal thought Gladstone was very family-friendly.
"It's really good here for kids, in the winter months there's the Playtime in the Park ... there always seems to be something happening," she said.
This week is National Playgroup Week and to celebrate, Mrs De Martin will go to an event tomorrow at the Gladstone PCYC.
It will be held at the Gladstone PCYC from 9.30am - 12.30pm and entry is free.
Where you can find a playgroup:
- Calliope RSL Hall playgroup meets every Monday from 9.30 - 11.30am.
- Communities for Children hosts the Dhubbeele's Indigenous Playgroup every Thursday.
- Disabilities Support Queensland Playgroup and Parent Support Group is held every second Tuesday at the 4680 Child and Family Centre at 105 Toolooa St.
- The Calliope Library hosts a playtime meet for families every second Wednesday.
- Benaraby State School has a school-based playgroup every Wednesday from 8.45 - 10.45am.
- Lil' Monkeys at Beecher meet at the Faith Baptist Church in Burua every Tuesday at 9am - 11am.
- Focus on Fours Playgroup meets every Friday from 9 - 11am at Boyne Island State School.
- Mini Me's Monday Playgroup meets once a week from 9 - 11.30am at the Boyne Tannum Community Centre.
- Scallywags Boyne Island playgroup meets every Tuesday from 9 - 11am at 27 Wyndham Ave.
- Tannum Turtles playgroup meets every Wednesday from 9 - 11am at the CWA Hall in Steel St.
- Dirty Rascals Playgroup meets every Wednesday from 9.30 - 11.30am at the Uniting Church Hall.
- Anglican Angels meet every Monday at 9.30 - 11.30am at St Peters Church in J Hickey Ave.
- Yarwun Kids Playgroup meets at 9am every Monday at Butler St.
- Larcom Littlies Playgroup meet at the Mount Larcom State School every Wednesday from 9.10 - 11.10am.
- Gladstone Central State School meets every Monday and Tuesday at 74 Auckland St from 9.30am - 11.30am.
- Gladstone PCYC Playgroup meets every Wednesday from 9 - 11am.
- My Time Gladstone meets at the Rosella Park State School on 20 Park St every Thursday from 9.30 - 11.30am.
- Bororen residents can attend a playgroup at the Bororen State School at 1 Kent St every Thursday from 9 - 11am.
- Baby Bits meet every Friday at the Boyne Island Community Centre from 9.30am - 11.30am.