Co-worker denies knowledge of fraudulent practices

Friday 6.40am: THE second day of the trial of a man facing one count of fraud was a mixture of precise cross-examination and comical mishaps in Gladstone District Court on Thursday.

Bruce Alfred Little was seated in the dock once again, as Crown prosecutor Melissa Wilson began leading key witnesses through their evidence-in-chief, in a day which saw one witness closely cross-examined by defence barrister Peter Richards.

Mr Little has pleaded not guilty to committing fraud, in a series of alleged offences spanning from July 2006 and March 2010.

The prosecution alleges Mr Little used company resources to carry out improvements to his Clinton property.

These were allegedly worth more than $30,000.

The Crown claims the costs were charged back to a QAL job being undertaken by Monadelphous at the time.

A former Monadelphous co-worker of Mr Little, Adrian Bubb, rejected Mr Richards's claims that he had known of the work being carried out on Mr Little's home.

Mr Bubb admitted he had previously approved work undertaken at the Monadelphous site, including some concreting work, to be charged to the QAL account, but said he had no knowledge of Mr Little's alleged misdealing.

Mr Bubb was asked repeatedly about business practices at his former employer's, to which he admitted to having seen labour costs transferred from less-profitable jobs to more-profitable jobs in the past.

Earlier in the day, a witness inadvertently left the court with one of the trial exhibits.

This brought a chuckle from some jurors.

The document was quickly recovered from the departing witness.

The District Court trial will continue on Friday, with many more witnesses still due to give evidence.

The trial is expected to run for about six days.

Thursday: A FORMER Monadelphous project manager accused of ripping off the company to the tune of over $30,000 faced trial in Gladstone District Court on Wednesday.

Bruce Alfred Little pleaded not guilty to one count of fraud, related to a series of alleged offending, spanning from mid-July, 2006 to March 16, 2010.

Crown prosecutor Melissa Wilson addressed the jury in her opening remarks on Wednesday, during which she laid out the Crown case against the defendant.

Ms Wilson told the court of alleged conduct carried out by Mr Little during his time with Monadelphous, during which she alleged Mr Little had used the resources of the company for his own personal use, to carry out improvements to his property at Clinton.

Ms Wilson alleged Mr Little used a surplus in project budgets to carry out work on a swimming pool and deck among other improvements, by fraudulently using equipment and other employees' time to complete the works, with Crown witnesses to begin giving evidence on Thursday.



You've got mail... Police warn of 'Australia Post' scam

You've got mail... Police warn of 'Australia Post' scam

An email claiming to be from Australia Post is scamming people.

Warning of potential sink hole at tourism hotspot

Warning of potential sink hole at tourism hotspot

Residents have been urged to be cautious.

Local Partners