Man believed he was under limit

FORMER Port City Power captain Aaron Nagas’ celebrations had the wind taken out of them after he was asked to blow in the bag.

Nagas was caught drink driving two days after playing his last game for the Gladstone QBL team against Rockhampton on August 7.

Police prosecutor Acting Senior Constable Troy Daubaras told the court Nagas was pulled over by police on Monday, August 9, on Hooper Road in Barney Point at 11.45am.

He returned a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.080.

Nagas, representing himself in the Gladstone Magistrates Court yesterday, apologised for his actions and believed he was under the legal limit.

The basketballer had been celebrating his final game for the Port City Power on Sunday and told the court he stopped drinking about midnight.

“I waited 12 hours before driving and thought I was under the limit,” Nagas said, reading from a prepared statement.

He had been on his way to buy more alcohol to continue his farewell at an organised get-together at Kev Broome Stadium.

Nagas told the court he was a positive role model in the community for young people and wanted to continue working with them in the future.

Magistrate Damian Carroll said he accepted Nagas made a conscious decision to wait 12 hours before driving and the reading was at the lower end of the scale.

Nagas was disqualified for two months from driving and fined $400.

In another drink driving case before the court yesterday, Paula Anne Ross lost her driver’s licence for three months and got a $1200 fine for her offence.

Act Snr Const Daubaras told the court the defendant was pulled over on Ann Street at 9pm on Thursday, September 9, and returned a BAC of 0.114.

Chris Trevor and Associates defence solicitor Stacey O’Gorman told the court her client was “absolutely devastated” with her behaviour.

Ms O’Gorman explained to the court her client had received a call from a family friend who was stranded and in need of a lift.

“She was not planning to drive and had had a few drinks,” Ms O’Gorman said.

Ms O’Gorman said her client had been drinking one drink an hour, but miscalculated the amount of alcohol she had consumed, as she’d been drinking heavy beer.

Ross was fined $1200, and disqualified from driving for three months.

'Distraught': Mum's worry after $30k mistake

premium_icon 'Distraught': Mum's worry after $30k mistake

A Gladstone mum is urging others to be vigilant

Gladstone firms make an industrial-sized donation

Gladstone firms make an industrial-sized donation

Industry and businesses chip in for Aussie Helpers charity

REVEALED: New red light speed camera for busy intersection

premium_icon REVEALED: New red light speed camera for busy intersection

The Gladstone spot has been identified as 'high risk'

Local Partners