Man accused of raping former partner's daughter, 7
A MACKAY region man is facing trial accused of raping his former partner's young daughter.
The man, who can't be named for legal reasons, has pleaded not guilty to two counts of rape and two counts of indecent treatment of a child under 12 while under his care in the District Court in Mackay.
In summing up the trial on Thursday, Judge Douglas McGill said the man had previously faced a trial for the matter.
He said the complainant had been aged seven or eight years old when the incidents allegedly occurred in late 2007.
The judge said that Crown prosecutor Melanie Franklin had said when the girl's mother had gone to work, her then-partner had cared for the children.
It was then that, on two occasions, he had allegedly carried the girl to bed and raped her.
The judge said as there were no other witnesses to the event, the Crown case turned on the girl's evidence.
He said during the trial, the girl's older sister had testified. The girl had told her sister that the man had raped her and the sister encouraged her to make a police report.
That conversation, which the two had over Facebook, was read to the jury.
Judge McGill said the man had testified and denied the incident.
He had said that after an injury to his heel, he could no longer carry children to their beds at all.
The jury deliberated all of Friday without reaching a verdict. Deliberations are expected to continue today.