Union says Fair Work order doesn't apply to its action
CONSTRUCTION workers protesting to get negotiations on their work agreement back on the table gave no sign of giving up yesterday, despite Fair Work Commission orders from 1pm for all industrial action to cease.
The FWC made rulings on the action that had taken place so far, saying Bechtel wasn't able to make relevant preparations as there was no clear direction given of the nature of the action.
But the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union says it doesn't believe the order applies to its action and as such protesting will continue.
Workers will have begun to take matters into their own hands via the secret ballot on the third version of their Enterprise Bargaining Agreement, which began at midnight, with an outcome due soon after the vote closes on Thursday.
CFMEU assistant state secretary Jade Ingham said the workers were so fed up they wouldn't stop protesting.
"The commission has made an order and we don't believe that order applies to this action and as such the protest is continuing," he said.
"Until that point has been settled our view is that we don't have to change anything."
Bechtel Gladstone general manager Kevin Berg said he hoped work would return to normal from tomorrow.
He said Bechtel's focus this week was to ask employees to look at the proposed agreement before they voted.
"There are many benefits in this agreement for employees, including the future introduction of a 3/1 roster," he said.
Read the Fair Work Commission order here.