Jury to consider verdict in Bruce Little fraud trial
BOTH sides had their final chance to address the jury as the fraud trial of Bruce Alfred Little, into its sixth day, moved towards a conclusion in Gladstone District Court on Wednesday.
Crown Prosecutor Melissa Wilson told the jurors they would have little trouble accepting that Mr Little had acted dishonestly in acquiring over $30,000 worth of improvements to his Clinton property, as well as work on vehicles, through the misuse of Monadelphous assets for his own gain.
"He got hundreds of hours of free labour," she said.
"He got over 140 hours of free labour in relation to construction of the swing arm."
She told the jurors they would also have little trouble accepting beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant had used funds left over from QAL job number 071340 to carry out the works to his property.
In her calculations, Ms Wilson demonstrated to the jurors there had been well over $30,000 of fraudulent activity, with the bills from materials purchased as well as labour costs of just three workers totalling over $32,000 alone.
Defence barrister Peter Richards asked the jury to consider whether the actions of his client were those of a dishonest person, or one who was not aware he was offending, after he argued the fraud had been carried out in plain sight.
"How is transparency an indicator of dishonesty?" Mr Richards asked the jury.
"How blatant is this receipt of benefits? If it's being done dishonestly, how stupid."
The trial will resume with Judge Leanne Clare's address this morning, before the jury retires to consider a verdict.