UPDATE: POLICE are yet to lay charges following the bomb scare at the Hervey Bay JB Hi Fi on Monday morning.

Investigations are continuing.

EARLIER: HE WENT to JB Hi Fi looking for a camera but moments after arriving, Robert Davis was being ushered out amid fears a bomb had been planted in the store.

A suspicious message suggesting an explosive device was inside the shop was discovered yesterday about 10.50am.

Emergency crews were notified and arrived within minutes to the Boat Harbour Dr site.

Eleven JB Hi Fi employees and about 25 customers had to be evacuated.

Mr Davis said staff acted professionally and calmly and it was just a case of "wrong place wrong time".

"I went in to buy a camera, and then we were asked to evacuate," Mr Davis said.

"I thought it was an alarm test but when walked out the door, there was the fire brigade."

Police officers trained in bomb detection did a thorough sweep of the technology shop but found no sign of anything dangerous.

It took about 90 minutes for the store to be given the all-clear.

Hervey Bay Police Sergeant Paul Byrne said it was a bomb hoax and the offender would face serious penalties which could include jail time.

"In today's age of terrorism, it's not a smart thing to do," Sgt Byrne said.

"We liaised with management of the store and viewed video footage, and observed a male leaving a hoax message about a bomb.

"He will later be identified and prosecuted."

Nobody was injured in the scare but Sgt Byrne said a bomb hoax in a busy location could result in physical harm.

"Even if it is a hoax, when people are exiting, if there's a panic we can get people injured that way," Sgt Byrne said.

JB Hi Fi manager Nicholas Dresens said this was the first time anything like yesterday's events had happened at the store.

"We are trained for different scenarios, we stayed composed," Mr Dresens said

"We've had a few blackout occurrences in the past; these things just happen."

Mr Dresens thanked emergency crews for their help.

Queensland Fire Service and Queensland Ambulance Service were also on the scene.

And did Mr Davis get his camera? Yes.

"I'll wait as long as I have to, as long as it's not hours," he said.

Staff and customers were evacuated for about 90 minutes while emergency crews surveyed the shop.

EARLIER: THE JB Hi-Fi store in Hervey Bay has been evacuated after a suspicious note was found inside.   

Police, paramedics and fire fighters are currently at the scene of the Boat Harbour Dr business. 

It's believed staff have been waiting outside since about 11.20am.

First birthday of new chapter in Kevin's life

First birthday of new chapter in Kevin's life

Kevin celebrated his 85th birthday, the first of many at Eureka.

Council to close down showground's caravan park

Council to close down showground's caravan park

Travellers say it will mean they bypass the city.

Local Partners