Jail awaits man if he reoffends
A MAGISTRATE has warned an 18-year-old man he was being given a chance and not to blow it, or he would certainly go to jail.
Matthew Luke Nespoli pleaded guilty to driving while disqualifed. Police prosecutor Sergeant Brad Reynolds said at 5.18pm on December 12 last year police pulled Nespoli over. Nespoli told police he was suffering chest pains and was driving to Miriam Vale to seek treatment as all the other occupants in the car were over the limit.
Police had called an ambulance and the paramedics thought Nespoli was having an anxiety attack. The disqualified driving count was Nespoli's third since 2007, the other two when he was a juvenile.
Duty lawyer Danny Yarrow told the court his client admitted that the chest pains came on only after police had intercepted him.
Magistrate Damian Carroll fined Nespoli $1650 in default 22 days jail with a two-and-a-half year disqualification period.
"It is unusual to find someone with two previous disqualified driving convictions as a juvenile, if you were an adult you would have been jailed for your third offence. I can see you are trying to make changes in your life and I will fine you this time, but if you come back before the courts you will go to jail, mark my words, you've been given a second chance."