PUBLIC PLEA: Ian Hunter (left) and son Jason with Acting Detective Inspector Steve Riznyk. Photo: File
PUBLIC PLEA: Ian Hunter (left) and son Jason with Acting Detective Inspector Steve Riznyk. Photo: File

Husband accused of wife's murder

POLICE yesterday charged the husband of Raceview woman Vicki Hunter with murder over her stabbing death two months ago.

Ian Hunter, 55, was questioned by police at Yamanto Police Station yesterday before he was charged with the murder of his 55-year-old wife.

Mr Hunter was held in custody overnight in the Ipswich watch-house ahead of a scheduled appearance today in Ipswich Magistrates Court.

Ipswich CIB Detective Senior Sergeant Mick Trezise said the arrest was the culmination of a “long and complicated” investigation.

Snr Sgt Trezise said the Ipswich CIB worked on the case with the Brisbane Homicide Squad.

“It was an excellent partnership between the two groups of police officers to bring the case to this stage,” Snr Sgt Trezise said.

“Mr Hunter was brought in for questioning at Yamanto Police Station and was later charged at the watch-house.”

The case began about 7am on May 7 when police were called to the Hunters’ Sonter Street home.

When they arrived they discovered Mrs Hunter dead from what police called “numerous traumatic injuries”.

Police also found Mr Hunter injured in the house and he was taken to Ipswich Hospital where he stayed for a couple of days.

Two weeks later, Mr and Mrs Hunter’s son Jason made a public plea for information to help find his mother’s killer.

Mr Hunter sat silently beside his son as he spoke to gathered media about his mother.

“My mum is a lovely person. She was always there for my brother and I,” Jason said.

“Mum and Dad were best friends. They kept to themselves and that’s why I’m here – to ask the public for their support because Mum and Dad, I don’t think they ever hurt anyone, and this tragic accident happened to our family and, you know, it’s surreal.

“In the 36 years I’ve been here I didn’t know of them having any enemies.”

Asked how he was coping with his mother’s death, Mr Hunter said it was “a day-to-day thing”.

“We’ve said our goodbyes to Mum, but now we’re living day by day, trying to help my dad out because it’s a hard time for him, and trying to get him back on his feet. The last time I saw my mum was about a week-and-a-half before the tragic accident.”

As soon as Jason started talking to media at the press conference at Yamanto police station, his father put his head in his hands. His face was blank and he looked almost stunned.

“It just beggars belief that this could happen to my family or that it could happen to any normal family out there. Our family’s going through hell; I don’t want any other family to go through this,” Jason said. “Not knowing what happened makes it harder. It was hard to say goodbye to Mum.

“I loved my mum and that’s how I’ll remember her; she was always there. If we needed help, if we needed anything done she was always there.”

Jason said his father, who was staying with him and his family at the time, was “coping as best he can”.

“He’s still shaken by it. I don’t think a day has gone by that he doesn’t get upset,” he said.

At the time, police said they were looking for a man allegedly seen near the Hunters’ house around the time she was killed. He was described as Caucasian, of average build and had a tribal-style tattoo on his left leg.

Tannum Crab Classic gives big to students

premium_icon Tannum Crab Classic gives big to students

GCLA is a home grown, not- for-profit organisation to support locals

Time to sign up to volunteer at Under the Trees festival

Time to sign up to volunteer at Under the Trees festival

There's a variety of roles that need to be filled.

Businesswoman's message for new Gladstone businesses

Businesswoman's message for new Gladstone businesses

Confidence is growing within Gladstone.

Local Partners